Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Overnight crockpot oatmeal ***EDITED WITH RESULTS

I have been wanting to try making oatmeal in my slow-cooker for a while now.  Waking up to a delicious hot oatmeal waiting for me seems like a great way to start the day. After googling 'crockpot oatmeal' tons of different recipes and variations come up. So here is the one that sounds the best to me.....I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow!

1 cup steel cut oats (NOT Quick Oats!)
4 cups water-Reduce to 3 cups if you like your oatmeal on the dry side
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup brown sugar
1  TBS butter
1/2  tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon



Cook on low for 8 hours and top with fruit, milk, honey etc.


This stuff looks like bird food, I hope it tastes good!


10/26/11 Results:
I'd have to say overall this was a good meal. It had a very creamy consistency, which almost reminded me of rice pudding. I guess that's why the recipe says to only use 3 cups of water for a thicker oatmeal. I will definitely make it again! I would probably add fruit to it next time, like cranberries or raisins, to make it a little more "chewable". My 15 month old ate a whole bowl full of it too!

2 comments:

  1. Is 8 hours a little excessive? Could this be done in 1/2 hour, if you started it right after you woke up?

    ReplyDelete